Hardwood floors have risen to popularity over recent years, and many people have them fitted in their homes these days. Switching to fancy flooring is easy, but maintaining and cleaning it is a tricky business. We have recently discovered a magic ingredient from the kitchen that could help you sweep clean your hardwood floors.
Vinegar is both safe and easy to use for the cleaning process, but that is not why many people prefer it over any other solution. It is also biodegradable and non-toxic, which ensures that you are not exposing your family to harmful smells, or contributing to environmental degradation. The best thing about vinegar is that it readily kills off bacteria, viruses, and all kinds of molds.
This is just the tip of the iceberg, and there is much more to the story. We will be untangling the mystery step by step, so read ahead to find out more.
The best type of vinegar to clean hardwood floors
The market is bombarded with many different kinds of vinegar, and you need to be careful in your selection. Most vinegar solutions are made from the fermentation of alcohol. This is also what gives vinegar its distinct smell and taste.
The acidic liquid that is formed as a result of the fermentation process can be an ideal solution for cleaning hardwood floors. Almost all types of vinegar can and are used for the process, but white vinegar is often preferred because it gives the quickest results.
Compared to other vinegar types, white vinegar is also readily available and is one of the cheapest ones in the market. Moreover, it is also preferred because of its relatively subtle smell that doesn’t dominate your living room or lounge after a thorough cleaning.
While there are many good options available, both online and in stores, we found the Pride white vinegar to be an excellent cleaning solution. It is not only affordable but also comes in large packaging to be used each time you need a quick clean. Here is the link to the product.
Steps to Clean Hardwood Floors
Cleaning your hardwood floors with vinegar is not as hard as it sounds. You only have to follow a few simple steps, and you are good to go. Here is what you have to do.
- First, remove any objects that you have lying on your floor. This includes all the furniture that may be in direct contact with the floor, such as a rug or a carpet.
- You should keep the door of the room locked for some time, so your pets and children don’t roam around on the surface. This is essential because footprints can leave a permanent mark on the floor, which is difficult to remove.
- Then, with the help of a vacuum cleaner or a clean mop, remove any dirt or debris that might have accumulated on the floor’s surface. This will also remove any hair or lint.
- Once you have done all that, it is now time to use vinegar to achieve a perfect look. You should fill a clean bucket with a white vinegar solution and then add some water into it. The quantity may vary according to availability, but you can add a cup of vinegar to two gallons of warm water to get adequate results.
- The next step is to take a dry and clean mop and dip it into the vinegar solution. Make sure it is not soaking wet because that would greatly hamper the whole cleaning process.
- Then start from one corner and mop the floor gently from side to side. You should also make sure that you mop in the direction of the floorboards. This will ensure that the dirt stuck in the corners is also removed.
- You should also rinse your mop frequently by dipping it in the vinegar solution. This is to ensure the whole floor gets consistent cleaning.
- You may also have to change the solution if it appears too dirty or brown.
- Once you have done all this, make sure you give the floor some time to dry.
- Ideally, you should also sit in the corner and not walk on the floor for at least half an hour.
If you need to know more, here is a video link to help you out.
Tips and tricks to get better results
Adding vinegar to water is undoubtedly one of the best ways to get good results, but there are a couple of tricks that you should learn if you are looking for perfection. This section includes the dos and don’ts that you need to be considerate of while using vinegar.
- You should always clean smaller areas with a cloth to ensure thorough cleaning. This will also easily remove any dirt or mold that has accumulated within the flooring. Do not apply too much pressure because that will damage the flooring in the long run.
- Drying the floor is very important as it makes sure that the strong and pungent smell of the vinegar goes away quickly. You can do this with a clean rag. You can also wipe in the direction of the floorboard to save time.
- Wooden floors shouldn’t become too wet. To avoid this, you can simply use a sponge or a spray to reach difficult places on the flooring. Moreover, you should avoid using cotton mops because they retain a lot of water. You can also open doors and windows to allow ventilation and hence aid the drying process.
- Many people don’t like the strong smell of vinegar, but there is a great alternative for them too. You can mix some vegetable oil with vinegar in a bottle and shake the solution. Once the two liquids have mixed well, you can use it to clean your hardwood floors.
- To know more tips and tricks, check out this video.
There are many commercial cleaners in the market, but you don’t have to spend so much money when you have a perfect and cheaper alternative available at home. Vinegar is safe to use, and it ensures deep and extensive cleaning. So if you want to retain the perfect texture of your hardwood floors for a long time, using a vinegar solution is the best way to go about it.